While earlier consideration, that improvement of the railways had changed the quality of the neighborhood and had caused large urban development which eventually pointed to the area being subsumed into London. The Eastern Counties Railway opened in 1839 and a branch route to Silvertown and North Greenwich was added in the 1840s. These railways helped to accelerate the process of developing the industrial growth of the community because the products produced and needed by manufacturers could be easily transported. In addition to this, goods unloaded at the docks could be easily transported somewhere else throughout the area. This resulted in an industrial growth spurt causing a need for more space with the housing sector for the workers. The progressive growth of Newham’s urban essence generated employment which caused a massive need for housing to provide housing accommodations for the workers and their families. Thus, emerged new areas known as Hallsville, Canning Town, and North Woolwich. It continued to grow and eventually, Custom House, Silvertown, and West Silvertown was also added. Unfortunately, the new housing community lacked the essential water supply and sewerage system needed and so certain diseases such cholera and cowpox thrived in these areas. The large modern developments that took place during the 19th century and the facilities provided for the workers employed at them are a remarkable and distinguishing element of Newham’s history. When these large industrial facilities were constructed they became known as some of the largest and most imposing structures in the world at that time. The Royal Docks were built in 1855 and 1921 in the Riverside area that has earlier been a marshland until it was claimed back. The marshes by the River Lea had also provided enough room for industry.